Thursday, February 03, 2005

State Of The Union

I wasn't able to watch the whole State Of The Union address last night. The only part I saw was the amazing moment when the Iraqi woman hugged the mother of a soldier killed in Baghdad. It was truly touching, the applause went on for about two minutes. And would have gone on a lot longer if she hadn't sat down. The President was holding back tears as he watched. In the past I have been critical of the President's public speaking talents, but I don't know if I would have been able to continue with a speech after something that powerful. Here are some pictures of what's becoming known as "the hug". And here is the transcript if you would like to read it. Patrick Ruffini(Bush's official campaign blogger) live blogged the speech and has some excellent comment on the post speech news shows also.

Just from reading the speech and watching the hug I'm getting even more excited about this coming term. Democrats beware, opposing Bush at this point will not help your reelection chances next time around!