Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Star Wars is almost here - so SHUT UP!!

Tomorrow the last Star Wars movie that will ever be released comes to theaters everywhere. I cannot wait for this movie, word has been good from the preview screenings, and it apparently made Steven Spielberg cry.

But there has also been a lot of talk about the supposed jabs at Bush that Lucas stuck in to the movie. Libertas has the details:
On his worldwide promotional tour for the film, Mr. Lucas is apparently now selling Star Wars Episode III as a return of the series to its ‘roots’ as a critique of American Imperialism. Just yesterday in Cannes, Mr. Lucas dazzled a fawning array of critics and entertainment reporters with thinly-veiled barbs at President Bush and the Iraq war. In so doing, Lucas stole the spotlight from filmmakers actually there in competition; Lars von Trier, in a pitiful attempt to one-up Lucas in anti-Americanism, was reduced to blubbering nonsense about American soldiers in Denmark.


Proffessor Brainbridge is also upset at the apparent sell out:
The whole point was that both the Jedi and the Sith had fallen into a trap of believing absolutes, with Luke's task being to restore balance to the Force. The clear implication was that the Force had a yin-yang aspect, which both the Sith and Jedi had lost sight of. The core story arc thus was to be Luke's restoration of that balance despite opposition from both the remnants of the Jedi and the Emperor.

In choosing to put those words in Obi-Wan's mouth - "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes" - Lucas did more than just play to Hollywood left-liberalism. He betrayed his own creation. As Mr. T used to say, I pity the fool.
My reaction to all this? SHUT UP!!!

I am going to enjoy this film as I have enjoyed the other Star Wars films. As a wonderful bit of escapism. I am going to loose myself in this story about the struggle of good versus evil. I know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Lucas, shut up about the political allegories and parallel's. It's a movie, it's a story it's entertainment, shame on you for trying to make it more than that so you can score points in Hollywood. And Proffessor Brainbridge and all you outraged conservatives shut up! Stop whining about Bush bashing in the movie! I hate being preached at by hollywood just as much as you do. But the more you let it keep you from enjoying movies like this one the more they will do it. You are perpetuating the cycle so shut up!! Just go and enjoy the movie for what it is.

Now this may seem like I'm being hypocritical here. I usually have no problem picking on Hollywood liberals. But at the same time I really really love movies. And I go out of my way not to let the estranged political ramblings of actors and directors keep me from enjoying their work. Doesn't always work(coughMichaelMoorecough), but there really is no need for hysterics.