Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I'm having a wonderful day today. Even though I am incredibly tired. Last night when NBC and Foxnews said that Bush would win Ohio I was elated. I knew he would eventually prevail there. But I really wanted to see it confirmed that Nevada or New Mexico would be confirmed for Bush. That would have insured a Bush win if Ohio went his way. Nope, no dice. I stayed up until after 4:30 waiting for some news.....any news but no. I went to bed thinking I would wake up to lawsuits, lawyers and true quagmires.

But instead there was good news, lots of good news. Kerry had conceded the race to Bush and would not drag the country through another Florida situation this time around. And I applaud him for that.

The good news starts and ends with the President being re-elected. But there's plenty of good news to go around. As the exit polls were rolling in it seemed that Virginia might be in play. This disturbed me greatly because I had seen a good many Kedwards stickers when I had been in Richmond and DC areas. I also worry about the DC anti-conservatism bleeding into NOVA. It turns out that my concerns were unfounded. Kevin Triplett did get smashed by Boucher to the tune of 59-39. This was not unexpected however. Boucher is a democrat through and through, but he is incredibly popular in the 9th district. This part of VA has seen wonderful job growth during his tenure. I have also heard many good things about people getting help from his office in DC. Things like helping with immigration, or transferring into Tech from another state. And also when I contacted his office to express my concern about gay marriage, he sent me a letter(form letter) saying that he supported the President and the FMA. So I knew that he wasn't liberal enough for this area to boot him out.

Montgomery County I am happy to say supported the President %54-%44. This is with a liberal university bulking up the population. Culpepper where my Grandmother, Aunt and Uncle live, went %64-%34 for Bush. My Grandmother is a staunch democrat so this is kind of sweet for us to think about.

In an historic defeat John Thune defeated the senate minority leader Tom Daschle in South Dakota. He is the first senate leader in 50 years to be defeated. This is an incredible boost for the President and the republicans in the Senate. Daschle was leading the way to filibuster the President's Judicial nominees. With Daschle gone and now a 55 to 44 majority in the Senate, it will almost be acedemic to get judges approved. Here's hoping. The blog Daschle v. Thune did a great job of getting out the vote. And if you want some interesting reading go back and read their election night coverage.

Wall Street applauded the re-election of our President:
Blue chips posted a triple-digit gain Wednesday and the Nasdaq closed above the 2,000 level for the first time in four months after President George Bush won a second term of office.
Commentators in the MSM have tried to spin this as a result of the certainty of a clear winner. And a relief that the campaign is over. Now I'm sure that thos things played into it, but I have to give some credit to the President. And here's the reason, when the exit polls showed Kerry up beforethe market closed it took a very sharp drop. So I think that Wall Street knows who will be better for the economy. And I happen to agree with them. Also worked out nice for Mexico.

Speaking of foreign countrys reaction Vladimir Putin weighs in:
"If Bush wins, then I can only feel joy that the American people did not allow itself to be intimidated, and made the most sensible decision," Putin said at a Kremlin news conference after talks with Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi.
Indeed!

Another ally sends his congratulations, Tony Blair:
Prime Minister Tony Blair has congratulated US President George Bush on his re-election, pledging to work with him in the war on terrorism and in revitalising the Middle East peace process.
One of our pseudo allies was not so pleased. People have been threatening to leave the US if Bush were re-elected. Canada is not so cool with the idea:
Canadian officials made clear on Wednesday that any U.S. citizens so fed up with Bush that they want to make a fresh start up north would have to stand in line like any other would-be immigrants -- a wait that can take up to a year.
On this account I think that the nation could be called a divided one. In that some people who don't like Bush really hate him. But I think taht they are a clear minority. Especially considering that Bush won by 3.5 million votes, and a percentage over 50 points. This nation is incredibly united, unfortunatly the un-united people tend to get the most attention.