Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Plame Case (again)

Wow this thing will just not go away. Bob Novak has been cleared by the DOD to reveal his part in the Plame leak investigation. Novak will give two interviews on Foxnews later today. Most of what he will say he has also detailed in his Human Events column:
In my sworn testimony, I said what I have contended in my columns and on television: Joe Wilson's wife's role in instituting her husband's mission was revealed to me in the middle of a long interview with an official who I have previously said was not a political gunslinger. After the federal investigation was announced, he told me through a third party that the disclosure was inadvertent on his part.

Following my interview with the primary source, I sought out the second administration official and the CIA spokesman for confirmation. I learned Valerie Plame's name from Joe Wilson's entry in "Who's Who in America."

I considered his wife's role in initiating Wilson's mission, later confirmed by the Senate Intelligence Committee, to be a previously undisclosed part of an important news story. I reported it on that basis.
Clearly Bushco planted the information about Valerie Plame in Who's Who, and paid off the public information officer of the FBI to "out" her. Can we get back to reality now?

It is nice that Novak can finally defend himself against all this nonsense.